21 December 2008




A Triumph Mayflower circa early 1950's. Body work then made of aluminium, it was nick named the poormans Rolls Royce. This was one of my fathers cars, during my life time I can recall him having a split screen Morris Minor convertable, a Triumph Standard, Triumph Mayflower, Morris Minor (1956 reg XMB 595) Volkwagen Cravanette, Ford Cortina estate, Triumph 1300 1967 reg AMB 41F, Fiat 128 and lastly a Ford Fiesta which he gave to me and which was stolen from me on the day I was organising his funeral!
All the cars upto and including the 1956 Morris Minor had NO HEATERS! heaters were optional extras then in cars. I can even recall that when I join the Post Office Telephones (now BT)in 1967 yes sixty seven a lot of the vans which where all Morris Minors had NO HEATERS. The engineers still went out in the winter, climbed telegraph poles and work on cables and travelled in freezing vans with no heaters. If temperatures in an office fall to 60f everyone wants to go home now, wimps.

No comments: